Thursday, May 22, 2008

Book Recommendations for Success

Here are a list of books that I've personally found helpful in learning how to make more money and just have a better life in general:

1) Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki (ISBN:0446677450)

Many people go to college (or back to college) to increase their income. Kiyosaki has a great way of explaining different ways a person can make money. I first read this book when I was a college senior. At first I honestly thought Kiyosaki was a little nutty because I'd never read anything like it before, but now it's one of a few books I read again on occasion when I need a good idea for making income. It's inspiring and practical at the same time.

2) The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey (ISBN:0785289089)

One of the things that I've found that high school and college education has fell behind in is teaching people how to manage their finances. I've read a lot of business and financial books, and I've yet to find anyone who has smarter advice that actually works if you're willing to follow it. This is the only book I've ever gone out and bought multiple copies of to give to people I care about.

3) The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz (ISBN:0671879448)

Ever been told "Don't get your hopes up?" This book helped me get overcome a fear of failure that was hindering what I could really do with my life.

4) Over The Top by Zig Ziglar (ISBN:0840791127)

Another great book on developing a good attitude toward learning and life. He has more recent books out that I also want to read eventually.

5) Personality Plus by Florence Littauer (ISBN:080075445X)

Even if you have no interest in psychology, this book is worth reading if you want better relationships with people. This is especially helpful in learning how to handle people who have a polar opposite personality to you, which can sometimes be awkward if you don't understand them.

6) Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill (ISBN:0449214923)

Napoleon Hill gathered information about some of the wealthiest people during his time and broke down the principles that other people could use to become successful. This book is really condensed and you can spend a long time just learning what's on a few pages.

7) The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey (ISBN:0671663984)

Before reading this book, I was a very reactive person when it came to events in my life. Covey does a great job at explaining ways a person can take better control of their life and achieve their goals.

8) 48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller (ISBN 13:9780805444797)

Even after college, I really had no clue what I really wanted to do with my life. I found this book very helpful, and it helped me find a career plan that works for my interests and personality. It's also very relevant to today's work environment.

In addition to these books, it's good to read at least one non-fiction book a month that can help you in some way. This is what many millionaires do. If you do this for several years, it at least tends to have a major impact on your life and career. It is my hope the books I recommended will be a great starting point for you and that you'll want to learn more on your own once you're done with them.

For more articles, check out my How-to articles by clicking here or see the Helium banner on your left for my profile there.

No comments:

Search & Win